– – – – –
At Gosford Family Dentist, we offer more than General dentistry, We also provide Specialised treatments including Dental Implants, Emergency Dental, Dentures, Tooth Extractions, Endodontics and Invisalign. We give you the extras that you expect and deserve as part of our commitment to delivering exceptional dental treatment and technologies.
– – – – –
Patients with broken or significantly damaged teeth may receive a recommendation for tooth removal or dental extraction.
Generally speaking, there are many reasons a patient may need a dental extraction, which include:
- Having extra teeth that are blocking other teeth from emerging.
- The arrival of wisdom teeth.
- The placement of braces.
Extractions can vary from simple to surgical. Simple extractions involve the removal of the tooth in a single piece.
In a surgical extraction, the dentist may need to cut the tooth into smaller pieces prior to removal. This typically occurs if the tooth is already broken, or if the tooth has not yet erupted.
In all circumstances, we will provide you with the necessary pain relievers and proper care to ensure that you are in comfort during the procedure. You can typically expect to feel some pressure during an extraction, although pain should not be present.
Wisdom Teeth Extractions
Wisdom teeth are the last adult teeth to come through in our mouth, and because of this, there is often little space for them to grow. They often become wedged or impacted at the back of the jaw.
Impacted wisdom teeth can cause:
- Decay and infection – It is often difficult to clean around them because of the tight space.
- Sore throat – Your wisdom teeth can be the source of constant infections at the back of your mouth.
- Bad breath or taste – Your wisdom teeth can be a food trap around the gums.
- Mouth ulcers – Wisdom teeth consistently grind up against the inside of your cheeks.
- Cyst formation – Wisdom teeth can form a cyst that destroys the surrounding bone.
- Crooked teeth – Wisdom teeth push against surrounding teeth, and often cause them to grow crooked.
At Gosford Family Dentist, wisdom teeth removal is a routine dental procedure. We offer “happy gas” and “sleep dentistry” (a level IV dentistry sedation) to relieve anxiety and create a comfortable experience.
We can let you know at your next check up if your wisdom teeth may need to be extracted. Contact us today.
Subscribe to our Newsletter
Gosford Family Dentist Accreditation
We are proud to announce that Gosford Family Dentist has been awarded a Quality Innovation Performance accreditation from one of Australia’s premier healthcare accreditation organisations for dental practices.
Earning QIP’s independent accreditation means that we have policies and procedures in place that meet the requirements of governing industry standards and are committed to providing our patients with professional, safe and quality oral care.
To find out more about our accreditation visit the QIP website www.qip.com.au.