What are Invisalign aligners?
Invisalign aligners are:
- Clear. They’re practically invisible, so most people won’t even notice that you’re wearing them.
- Removable. They can be easily removed for social events, at mealtimes, and when you brush your teeth.
- Comfortable. They’re made from BPA-free plastic, so there are no metal wires or brackets to irritate your lips and gums.
- Hygienic. You don’t have to avoid any particular foods, and you can brush and floss normally throughout your treatment.
- Customised. Your Invisalign aligners are customised to fit your mouth.
How do Invisalign aligners work?
During your initial consultation, your dentist will take 3D images or plaster impressions of your teeth and mouth. These impressions are sent to an Invisalign lab where technicians, in collaboration with your dentist, digitally map out the desired movement of your teeth during treatment. Invisalign aligners will then be customised for you.
The aligners fit tightly over your teeth and apply pressure to gently move your teeth. Your dentist monitors your progress and, as your teeth begin to move, they fit your next set of aligners to gradually guide your teeth into their desired position.
Invisalign is a significant investment and the best (and fastest) results come from closely following your treatment plan. Your plan includes committing to wearing your aligners for up to 22 hours a day, removing them only at mealtimes and when you brush your teeth.